Our aim is to provide a vehicle for interaction and socialization between and among graduates and faculty of PMA.
To initiate and support efforts to keep the name and reputation of Power Memorial Academy in the public’s awareness.
PMA was founded in 1931 when, at the request of the Archbishop of the New York Diocese, a new community of Irish Christian Brothers took over the five attached row houses on 124th Street that had previously been occupied by the Bothers other school, All Hallows. They named it Power Memorial Academy in memory of Monsignor Power who had originally invited the Irish Christian Brothers to this country and who had died in 1926.
By 1938 the schools student body had increased to such an extent that a new location was required. A building at 161 W 61st Street, which had previously housed the NY Nursery & Childs Hospital, was purchased as the new school site.
This website is dedicated to the memory of our Alma Mater, Power Memorial Academy. Power was an all boys Catholic high school, which operated from 1931 until it closed in 1984. We endeavor to help alumni remember our school, each other and our teachers.
In March 2016, we will hold our 13th Annual Mass of Remembrance at St. Paul the Apostle. As always, this promises to be a beautiful and reverent tribute to those Power men who have gone before us. A light reception of coffee and Danish will follow in the Parish Hall immediately after the Mass.
Alumni all class reunion Hall of Fame Induction on Saturday, November 7, 2015. It will take place at St Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church Hall, 630 2nd Ave, located near the corner of E.35th St. and 2nd Avenue.
As is our yearly tradition, we will march in the NYC St Patricks Day Parade in 2016. Power Memorial Academy will march with our banner held proudly and keep the memory of our alma mater alive.
Stay tuned for details toward the end of this year.